- Our Whistle-stop Tour of New York City with Kids Part Two: Where We Stayed and Ate
- Our Whistle-stop Tour of New York City With Kids Part One: Getting There
- Our Family Trip to Berlin
- Packing Essentials for a Family Ski Holiday
- The Big (and Not So Big) Move
- The day Shawn Mendes taught my daughter an amazing life lesson
- 10 Things for kids to do in Costa Adeje, Tenerife
- The Croke Park Stadium Tour
- Tips for making the most of a day out at Tayto Park
- 10 Kids TV characters you will love to hate as a parent
Handsel Monday – anyone?
My Dad e-mailed me earlier to say it was Handsel or Handselling Monday. It’s not something I am very familiar with but he grew up with the tradition as a child. His mum was from Manchester and apparently Handsel Monday was something recognised there.
The notion of Handsel Monday is that on the first Monday of the year you give a money gift (a coin of some sort) to your child(ren) to bring good luck. My dad recalls much excitement in his household. There were seven children so I’m sure it was no mean feat just after Christmas! All seven are still all here and well so there must have been some luck!
I don’t recall the tradition growing up (but maybe we did!?!).
Might just start the tradition in my house today – a nice legacy from a great grandmother my kids didn’t get to meet.
Is there anyone out there celebrating today? Let me know what you do in the comments!